Thursday, March 22, 2007

Forbidden rice..and egg rolls

A consumer group has found that Chinese food is really not all that healthy for us. Not sure if I missed something there all these years, as I never ate Chinese food for the health benefits. Nevertheless, now I know exactly how much sodium, calories and fats I am stuffing into my face when I'm enjoying an egg roll. This study will most likely not act as a deterrent to our love of Chinese food, so here are a few tips recommended to make the meal healthier.
  • Look for dishes that are less meat centric and more veggie oriented
  • No deep fried stuff or dim sum
  • Hold the sauce
  • Limit salt
  • Share your meal
So, I think I'll see you guys at sushi...


Also surprising were some appetizers: An order of six steamed pork dumplings has 500 calories, and there's not much difference -- about 10 calories per dumpling -- if they're pan-fried.

Source: edition.cnn.com

The reports show that a typical battered, fried chicken dish with vegetables has 1,300 calories, 3,200 milligrams of sodium and 11 grams of saturated fat.

Source: fitsugar.com



Tags: saturated fats | lots of calories | high sodium | chinese food is bad for you | UNHEALTHY | Health | chinese food

No comments: