Wednesday, April 18, 2007

"There are some breasts you can't hide in a dress"

It seems like it was just yesterday that I went to my prom, (erm..with Billy Parker) and I remember how important it was for me to look perfect that day. I shopped for months to find the perfect dress and spent a bucket load of money on one of the most important days of my teenage life.

I finally decided to go with a Jessica McClintock, black, silk organza floor length gala number that was admittedly, way ahead of my time. Open neckline, bare back and a killer pair of heels made Billy Parker a very happy 18-year-old prom goer, and he was going with me. Overall, my prom experiences were great. So, why am I telling you this?

Because I want justice for the 25 girls from L.W. Higgins High School in Louisiana who were turned away at the door of their all important, one and only graduation prom because of the style of their dresses. School officials claim the dresses revealed too much cleavage, they were too tight in certain areas and just not appropriate. And although there is a dress policy in effect, outraged parents say their daughter's dresses didn't violate any dress codes and demand that the school reimburse prom costs.

The parents say it's not their daughters' fault that anatomically, some places are larger than others, like the cleavage area. Some parents have even suggested the school issue a public apology. But will this be enough? Prom is over, it's gone and it's never coming back.


In an episode that has garnered national media attention, most of the girls were turned away because of an excessive display of cleavage, though the policy also bans clothing that is "tight-fitting" or "see-through."

Source: nola.com

Tags: slutty dress | See Through | school turns away girls at prom | prom dress | opinion | newsgroup | excessive display of cleavage | dress | tight fitting dress | cleavage | entertainment

No comments: