Well now, it seems the green movement has moved into the area of weddings. Applause!
Although walking down the aisle in a beautiful white gown is still the norm, today's trendiest weddings -- at least metaphorically -- are green, as couples are concerned with reducing the impact of their big day on the environment. This means that traditional carbon emitting activities like flying to a destination, arriving by SUV's to the chapel and importing flowers are being replaced by eco-chic items. If you're interested, here are some things you can do on your big day to help Mother Earth:
- Buy either a used or "recycled" wedding dress
- Stick to local and organic ingredients when planning the menu
- Have your guests walk to the church or ride their bicycles
- Order recycled invitations or confetti
- Register with a "green" or ethical organization for your wedding gift
Also, you can check out Ethical Weddings, a website dedicted solely to green weddings for more ideas.
"A year ago there was nothing green at wedding shows. I was really struggling to get the message across that green weddings are about 'eco-chic', not lentils and hessian,"